Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Baby Necessities Help


I am so excited about this weekend - We are going to go register!! As we have started to accumulate baby stuff, it's feeling so real - that James Bradford will be here before we know it. (plus of course the movements and weight gain make it real too!)

I have started making a list of items that I think we need and items that are just wants. (If our townhouse doesn't sell before James Bradford arrives, we really only have room for the necessities - pray, pray, pray it does sell, we would love some extra space!)

I feel so blessed that my sister Ellen has 2 toddlers and she and her husband have graciously offered to pass down a bunch of their baby stuff that the big boys no longer need. (Car Seat, Video Monitor, High Chair, Crib Mattress and the list goes on. -Thank You, Thank You, Thank You - that's a lot of big stuff!)

As we get ready - I would love to have your help and input. What are the items you have loved and couldn't live without for your baby (or grandchild or niece or nephew...) and what are the items you thought you had to have, but ended up not loving or using?

Thanks for all your help!!

Oh - here is a peak at James Bradford's crib bedding we are having made. I have to say though - the picture doesn't give it justice. The color swatches we received are gorgeous. The skirt is actually a small stripe (Off white & beigey gold (my made up color) and then the bumper is a blue and beige Toile with soft "Minkee Dots" on the inside. I think its going to look so classy (and awesome!) in James Bradford's iron crib.

4 comments:

  1. LOVE the bedding!!! Is that Mavis Davis??? I spent tons of time on that website trying to design the perfect combo!!! I know it will look great! Things we couldn't live without....and this is probably a short list...and in random order
    -Vibrating seat (ours was rainforest, though any will do)
    -My little lamb swing (ours was rainforest but we will go with the lamb the 2nd time around...he loved that one way better-all of our friends had that one...)
    -Steam Sterilizer for the microwave. Ours was off brand so it doesn't matter, but we used that thing probably 6 times a day for the first 6 or 8 months!
    -Dr. Browns Bottles-lots of parts to clean, but Will never had any trouble with reflux, etc.
    -Boppy Baby Lounger (we never used our boppy much, but loved the lounger)
    -Sound machine for baby's room....ours is homedics from bed bath and beyond...
    -Space Saver high chair by fischer price. Will is still in this-we love it because it just sits on an existing chair in our kitchen-doesn't take up extra space. It reclines which is a great feature when they first start eating oatmeal!

    I am sure I could think of a thousand more but you are right-there is definitely a difference in needs vs. wants. Go to my blog and find the Gentrys blog from my blog list. They had Emma Cate 3 months ago and she just did a post about things that have really helped them. And there is a cool night light on there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bedding is beautiful! So fancy/classy!
    Great idea asking for advice!! I may come back here and add some things to my suggestions after a night of thinking about it (during those early morning feedings)...but for now:
    - Definitely a sound machine that has a "continuous" feature - I've actually heard from other people that the homedics one from bed bath and beyond (that your friend above mentioned) is a huge winner, as well!
    - Room darkening shades
    - Not sure if you're planning to breastfeed or not - but if you are, you may want to look into the Tommee Tippee bottles at Babies R Us. I went with the Avent bottles, and now really wish I had seen the Tommee Tippee ones before getting the ones we have (-they're supposed to be "most like mom.")
    - For swaddle blankets we used "Aden and Anais" brand and I loooved them. They're oversized, and therefore make it easier to swaddle them really tight. And, the size is also nice to use them for lots of other things like draping over the stroller/carseat, etc. - and the best part is that they're completely breathable, so you can relax about the baby possibly getting buried in the fabric.
    -Definitely the swing (We have the my little lamb one and love it! And, so did Julia.. it was a lifesaver in the beginning.)
    - Also, we're huge fans of the Exersaucer..... at the age Julia is at now, it has replaced the swing as the entertainment object of choice to put Julia in independently.
    -Some bedtime bath gel and lotion - it has a certain scent to help relax baby and help them to fall asleep.
    - Bibs and burp cloths! I had no idea how many of these I would go through in a day!

    I'm gonna keep thinking - but that's a list from me for now! :) Happy Registering!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you said you have a video monitor, but I would HIGHLY recommend the Angelcare monitor. It has a motion sensor, so it will alert you if the baby stops breathing/moving. It was a huge relief to me to not have to worry about SIDS. It also allowed us to put Jack to sleep on his belly sooner - and he sleeps SO much better and longer that way!
    We also get a lot of use out of his bouncy seat, play mat (we have the Baby Einstein one that plays music and lights up - he loves it!), and lately the exersaucer. We use Dr. Brown's bottles and have had no problems with reflux. As far as diapers go, we could not use Huggies because they leaked terribly. So Pampers is the way to go!
    We registered for a Bumbo seat, but haven't used it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your comments!! That really helps me alot!! I really appreciate all the mommy advice!

    ReplyDelete