Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Sewing Projects

Last month I took an intermediate sewing class at The Smocking Bird. I have taken several classes there in the past and this was actually my 2nd time to take intermediate! (I just can't get the grasp of perfecting sleeves and collars - if you have any hints or advice, let me know!) The smocking bird is my favorite place for sewing project material. They have the cutest fabrics and piping. Anyways, if you are interested in learning how to sew or smock, the women there are so knowledgeable and helpful.

In intermediate sewing, your project must consist of sleeves and a collar. Have you ever looked at how many cute patterns there are for projects with sleeves and collars?! Its overwhelming! I decided on this one:
Infant Daygown by Creations By Michie. I just thought it was so cute! The only available size is 0-3 months - So I thought it would be perfect to make a gown for when James Bradford was a teeny tiny baby. During the class, I decided it would be a good idea to make two daygowns - one during the class, and one alongside the class at home - in hopes I wouldn't forget how to make it! Here is how they turned out:
I know what some of you are thinking - you are going to dress your son in a dress?! It's not a dress, its a daygown, and it's only for when he is an infant! And it doesn't bother Cory in the least bit. He actually likes these!


This blue one was the one I actually did in class. Its not 100% finished. I am going to get his name monogrammed on it. The backside is closed with 3 little buttons. My hopes are that this will be one of the outfits James Bradford will wear in the hospital when he meets his family and friends!



Here is the one that I had decided to do alongside the class, but I ended up working on it alot more in class then I hoped! I made this one extra long thinking, depending on James Bradford's size, he may be able to wear it for his infant baptism.

Next project is working on one very similar to this white one. But it's going to have the drawstring in the bottom (like the picture on the front of the pattern) and have blue smocking. Hopefully I can remember how to do it all!

4 comments:

  1. Those turned out great, Anne! So fun reading your blog and seeing all the preparations for James Bradford- can't wait to meet him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! Mae wore the girl version of that daygown for her first Christmas when she was about a month old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne, I am so jealous! I wish I would have been able to come to class more seeing as I asked you to sign up with me and I ended up dropping out. I still need to finish my outfit but have no clue how to. We need to have a sewing night soon so I can learn from you. The gowns turned out soooooo well and James Bradford is going to look adorable in them!!!! You should be so proud :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are beautiful (in a boyish way!!)!

    ReplyDelete