Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Weathering the Storm

"And I'll praise you in this storm
and I will lift my hands
for You are who You are
no matter where I am
and every tear I've cried
You hold in your hand
You never left my side
and though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm"


- Casting Crowns, Praise You in this Storm Chorus





Last Wednesday morning - I was awoken at 5:51am by my cell phone ringing. I rolled over in bed and saw it was my parents phone number. Immediately my heart raced thinking something was wrong. Luckily, it was just my mom calling to tell me there was bad weather (it was just the weather - little did I know what was happening) and that I needed to turn on the TV. After hanging up, the power went out and I heard the tornado sirens going off. I woke up Cory and got James Bradford. Cory took his pillow and went to sleep in the hallway, while James Bradford and I went downstairs in the half bath and waited for the storm to pass.


I honestly have never been scared of storms. Wasn't really scared of this one. Just thought I needed to take extra precaution because I am not only responsible for my own life now, but for James Bradford's also.


As we sat in the bathroom, James Bradford took his bottle and then we read a couple books. Mom called several minutes later to say the warning was over.


We went about our normal morning routine (although earlier then normal) getting ready for me to head to work and to take James Bradford to Mother's Day Out.


Come to find out - I hear from one of my coworkers that lives about a mile away - all the roads in Cahaba Heights were closed because of the destruction. So I call into work and let them know I won't be making it in.


We had no clue how much destruction had happened until Cory and I got out later that morning. Homes and vehicles not even a mile from our house were completely destroyed. Power lines down everywhere. Our little neighborhood with so much damage - my heart aching for those people who lost so much. And the worst wasn't even yet to come. The forecast was calling for more Tornadoes Wednesday evening. People were scurrying around - trying to cover their roofs with tarps and get trees that had fallen off their homes before the next round of storms were to come through. A helicopter had to make an emergency landing in the Winn Dixie parking lot (less then a half mile from our home) because a man had cut himself with a chainsaw and emergency vehicles couldn't get in and out.


Cory and I got out all of our candles and our weather radio and prepared for the storm. About 5pm - James Bradford and I got into our "safe place" - that hall bathroom again. (you know you need a bigger home when your safe place can barely fit one adult and one infant!) With books, bottles, diapers - everything we would need if something were to happen. - I was taking this one seriously after seeing all the destruction in our community. We listened to the radio as it hit other towns and cities in Alabama. We were finally safe to get out - of course still no power. Because of not having power we only had the radio to hear about the destruction that had taken place all over precious state. Our cell service was spotty so we couldn't call anyone or really get Internet service.


People lost everything - vehicles, pets, homes and even loved ones. My heart ached as I heard people calling in on the radio telling what had happened. Then on Friday - I went to work (the office had power, although still no power at home) and was able to see all the destruction on the Internet. Pictures of Pleasant Grove, Pratt City and Tuscaloosa -the home of the University of Alabama. My heart was broken - I can't even begin to imagine the pain that these people were going through. And us even knowing people who's homes were destroyed and or knew someone that didn't survive the storm.


I felt helpless (and still feel that way) - we had to do something. Luckily our church has organized "Covenant Cares" - organizing groups to go out and help those who have been effected by the storm. With my leg, I didn't think it would be wise of me to go and work outside - but there was another way I could serve by helping make lunches for those people who were being housed in Boutwell Auditorium. So we made over 1,ooo lunches Saturday morning. It was so great being with other women in the church - all coming together to help. While I was there, Cory was out helping clear yards in a neighborhood in Cahaba Heights, where one of our friend's family lives. It made me feel better to get out there and help. Although there is still so much to still be done. I hope there will be another opportunity in the near future for us to help and give back to our community.


How blessed are we - not even a mile from major destruction, we are untouched and lost nothing. James Bradford and I, during our bedtime prayer, now include thanking the Lord nightly for our safety and protection that he gave us and also pray for those affected - that he would bring them comfort and peace. Please lift up our community and state in prayer. As the healing process for our state is going to take time.


Thank you Lord for watching over our family and providing us with a roof over our head. 107 hours (Cory calculated it) without power - I consider our family lucky and blessed.

1 comment:

  1. So glad y'all didn't have any damage. My parents really appreciated Cory's help, and we do too. Thanks so much for being such caring friends and serving my family!

    ReplyDelete